Friday, January 25, 2013

Mom's Banana Bread

As an additional recipe for my blog, I have decided to include my mom's banana bread recipe, which was given to her by her mother.  Last week, I baked with my mom to see how she prepared her healthy banana bread.  This bread is a healthy, fulfilling breakfast that people of all age may enjoy.  My mom often prepares loaves to bring with her to work or share with people over the holidays.

Starting out, my mom had me combine all the dry and wet ingredients seperately.  I also had to mash the bananas seperately from these two mixes, to be added in last.  For flour, my mom uses one cup white and one cup wheat flour, so that the bread will be slightly healthier than one with white flour only, but still nice and moist.  Instead of butter, my mom used vegetable oil in the mix.  After combining all the ingredients, we baked the bread at 375 degrees for 20 minutes then at 350 degrees for an additional 25 to 30 minutes.  After baking, we let the loaf sit in the pan for a few minutes before transfering it to a cooling rack.

 
Banana Bread
This delicious, healthy bread is a great breakfast food my mom got from my grandmother. 

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 egg
1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons softened butter or oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ cup milk (soy or regular)
2 bananas (about 2 cups), mashed
¼ cup nuts (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 375 ͦ F.
2. Combine whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, and baking soda.  Set aside.
3. In a medium-sized bowl, beat egg into the sugar. 
 
 
4. To the egg mixture, add the shortening, vanilla, milk, and bananas. Mix until combined.
5. Stir banana mixture into flour mixture.  Add nuts if desired.
 
6. Bake in greased and floured bread pan at 375 ͦfor20 minutes.
7. Reduce oven temperature to 350 ͦand bake for an additional 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean.
8. Cool, in pan, for 5 minutes.
9. Transfer bread to wire cooling rack and let sit until cool enough to handle.
10. Serve with butter, if desired.
11. Store remaining bread in refrigerator.
 

Yield: 1 loaf (about 8 servings)

 





No comments:

Post a Comment